Working group for Python CPAN-equivalence?

John Gabriele jmg3000 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 09:39:51 EST 2010

On Mar 3, 9:11 pm, John Bokma <j... at castleamber.com> wrote:
> Philip Semanchuk <phi... at semanchuk.com> writes:
>
> > In other words, if I was a Perl user under Ubuntu would I use
> > the pkg manager to add a Perl module, or CPAN, or would both work?
>
> Both would work, but I would make very sure to use a separate
> installation directory for modules installed via CPAN.

What's worked best for me is: use *only* the apt system to install
modules into your system Perl (`/usr/bin/perl`) and use *only* cpan/
cpanp/cpanm to install modules into *your own* Perl (for example, you
may have installed into `/opt`).

> AFAIK there are also programs that pack CPAN modules/bundles into
> something the package manager can use to install.

Right. If you really want to install a module for which there's no
Debian package, and you don't want to install your own Perl, this is a
good route to take.

Incidentally, this is the same way I recommend handling the situation
with Python: Use only aptitude to install packages for your system
Python, and use only pip to install packages into your own Python
(which you built and installed elsewhere, ex., `/opt/py-2.6.4`).

---John