I strongly dislike Python 3

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Wed Jun 30 22:13:04 EDT 2010

On 6/30/10 6:48 PM, John Nagle wrote:
> The 10th anniversary of the announcement of PERL 6 is coming
> up on July 19th, and it still hasn't displaced PERL 5 as the
> "primary" version.

Now, I may be totally off-base, because I do not grok perl and so have
never made much of an effort to follow perl-- but ... isn't Perl 6 not
_unfinished_? If so, I don't quite see the comparison. I mean, sure.
Python 3 has some rough edges, but it is released and supported. Its
basically an evolution (with an extinction event going on at the same
time), and not a redesign or rewrite, which to my understanding, Perl 6 is.

I do realize Perl 6 is actually a specification and not an
implementation(and that it very carefully makes that distinction), and
there is more then one implementation of that spec-- but I was under the
impression it was only partially completed and/or still manifesting.

I just hadn't ever heard of or seen Perl6 in _use_ anywhere, or even
available*. Granted, I am neither omniscient nor in any way connected to
those sorts of places where you are likely to see that, so it might be
my own personal tunnel vision.

--

    ... Stephen Hansen
    ... Also: Ixokai

*To contrast, the last two hosting providers I did business with, both
had Python 3 available... now, I qualify that contrast with an
acknowledgment that while available, it's probably of very little use in
the current state, with WSGI** not being ready for the bytes/unicode
split yet. These claims or observations are not meant to be 'This P is
better then that P'.

** Yes, I have drank the WSGI kool-aid offiically, and can't really
acknowledge the viability of non-WSGI based Python web development. I
admit it is quite possibly an entirely uninformed position to hold and
therefore shall not evangelize my faith, since I have enough sense to
realize its probably not reasonable. It still works for me!