I strongly dislike Python 3

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollans.com
Mon Jun 28 12:23:15 EDT 2010

On 06/28/2010 04:36 PM, Stephen Hansen wrote:
> On 6/28/10 2:20 AM, Thomas Jollans wrote:

>>> Not at all, bash via msys is trivial to install and use.
>>>

>> Installing Linux is still a LOT easier than installing a working MSYS
>> since you get proper package management with proper dependency
>> resolution, while with MSYS, you end up downloading dozens of different
>> inter-dependent GNU packages one-by-one until anything works. At least
>> that's what it looked like a couple of months ago.
>>
>> Granted, cygwin has a nice installer.
>
> Huh?
>
> The hardest part about installing msys is adding mingw-get to the PATH.
> Then you just "mingw-get install mingwrt w32api binutils gcc" and you
> have your basic environment done. If there's something you want in
> addition, say gdb, you just mingw-get install gdb. You don't have to
> pick and choose various interdependent packages. It does allt he
> dependency stuff for the packages it can handle.
>
> Now, mingw-get is a bit newish (though I don't know when they came out
> with it), but before that you only had to pick and choose packages IIRC
> if you decided you wanted a really minimal msys. You could get a basic
> 'meh, basically everything normal' and just run with it and have nearly
> everything you'd expect in a bash-command-line sort of environment.

mingw-get. That might be exactly the tool I wish I'd had. Does it
install MSYS as well or only strictly MinGW components? To quote the
information I did have (which is still on the MinGW homepage):

"""Currently, the best way to download MSYS is to choose the MSYS
components you want from the download page and to extract them one by
one in an empty directory."""

Oh well
Thomas