I strongly dislike Python 3

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Mon Jun 28 10:36:02 EDT 2010

On 6/28/10 2:20 AM, Thomas Jollans wrote:
> On 06/28/2010 03:21 AM, Stephen Hansen wrote:
>> On 6/27/10 6:11 PM, geremy condra wrote:
>>>
>>> Might as well spare yourself the trouble and install linux or *bsd. It's
>>> probably easier.
>>
>> Not at all, bash via msys is trivial to install and use.
>>

> Installing Linux is still a LOT easier than installing a working MSYS
> since you get proper package management with proper dependency
> resolution, while with MSYS, you end up downloading dozens of different
> inter-dependent GNU packages one-by-one until anything works. At least
> that's what it looked like a couple of months ago.
>
> Granted, cygwin has a nice installer.

Huh?

The hardest part about installing msys is adding mingw-get to the PATH.
Then you just "mingw-get install mingwrt w32api binutils gcc" and you
have your basic environment done. If there's something you want in
addition, say gdb, you just mingw-get install gdb. You don't have to
pick and choose various interdependent packages. It does allt he
dependency stuff for the packages it can handle.

Now, mingw-get is a bit newish (though I don't know when they came out
with it), but before that you only had to pick and choose packages IIRC
if you decided you wanted a really minimal msys. You could get a basic
'meh, basically everything normal' and just run with it and have nearly
everything you'd expect in a bash-command-line sort of environment.

--

    ... Stephen Hansen
    ... Also: Ixokai