I strongly dislike Python 3

Aaron Watters aaron.watters at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 09:06:11 EDT 2010

On Jun 26, 9:06 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> I didn't notice this level of angst when Python made equally significant
> changes going from 1.5 to 2.0... admittedly Python 1.5 code would work
> unchanged in 2.0, but the 2.x series introduced MUCH bigger additions to
> Python than anything 3.0 and 3.1 have added, and anyone taking advantage
> of those changes is implicitly writing code which is not backwards

As a historical note, Python was a lot less pervasive then.
Nevertheless there were some subtle but significant
breakages in 1-->2 which caused a lot of people to throw up their
hands
and give up.  The abandonment of regex comes to mind, and there
were others.

I personally earned income a couple years ago
as a contractor supporting Python 1.x
applications which were put into cryogenic preservation when
the developers decided to abandon Python in favor of a less
chaotic platform, like Java or C# or even (got help us) Perl.

I apologize if I pontificate.
 -- Aaron Watters