I strongly dislike Python 3

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Mon Jun 28 04:45:53 EDT 2010

On 28/06/2010 09:29, John Bokma wrote:
> Tim Golden<mail at timgolden.me.uk>  writes:
>
>> On 28/06/2010 00:03, Eric_Dexter at msn.com wrote:
>>> It should be easier to have a large number of python versions on one
>>> machine...  I am realy fond of 2.5 so I am probily going to start
>>> compiling them or just include the python2.5 exe if I port stuff and
>>> settle it that way..
>>
>> I have Python versions 2.1-2.7 and 3.0-3.2 installed on my Windows
>> box without any problems. I don't often have to use the full range
>> (mostly, in fact, for confirming that my unit tests still run on
>> my few released modules). But I certainly do use several different
>> ones each day where I have to make sure I'm running the same version
>> as the user who's experiencing a problem.
>>
>> One technique I find particularly handy is to create a pythonxx.exe
>> hardlink in my c:\tools (which is always on my path), pointing to
>> c:\pythonxx\python.exe in turn. Then it's just a matter of: python25
>> my-script.py
>> Even without that, it's only a question of c:\python25\python my-script.py
>> if I need to.
>>
>> I have in the past used a crude shebang-alike Python pre-processor
>> which hands off to the right version. It's a bit sluggish, though,
>> and that outweighed for me the slight convenience. YMMV
>
> You might want to look into the assoc command to (temporarily) associate
> .py&  co with a different version of Python.

Thanks for the idea. ISTR playing around with this in the past. Ultimately,
though, it's typically a one-off run I'm doing (possibly repeated several
times while I fix the problem!) and the assoc will affect all open sessions
even if I revert it later, so I haven't gone down that route.

I do have a version-switcher script which makes whichever Python exe
runs it the default / on the path / etc. which is a sort of poor man's
virtualenv. (And predates virtualenv, in my defence). But even that I
use rarely.

TJG