Why are String Formatted Queries Considered So Magical?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Jun 28 00:53:27 EDT 2010

Carl Banks <pavlovevidence at gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 27, 8:33 pm, Ben Finney <ben+pyt... at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> writes:
> > > I'm disappointed, usually when you sit on your reinforced soapbox and
> > > pretense the air of infinite expertise you at least use reasonable
> > > logic.
> >
> > Kindly stop inventing straw men to attack; I deny the position you're
> > painting for me.
>
> No, this is not a straw man, you are 100% percent guilty of circular
> logic as I accused you of.

The straw man you attacked is as I quoted above.

The claim of circular logic is a separate point, and I addressed it in
the rest of the message. Like you, I stripped the part of the message
that I was not responding to specifically.

> Plus, I will not kindly do anything for you unless you kindly stop
> being condescending and self-righteous when answering questions and
> start treating people with respect.

I always endeavour to treat people with respect, and I leave it to the
independent reader to decide how successful I am in that endeavour.

Respect for a person, though, entails subjecting that person's
statements to criticism where appropriate. Don't mistake exposure of
flaws for self-righteousness, nor criticism for condescension.

This isn't a forum for discussing my style, so I'll limit this message
to merely addressing these slurs.

--
 \           “The long-term solution to mountains of waste is not more |
  `\      landfill sites but fewer shopping centres.” —Clive Hamilton, |