I strongly dislike Python 3

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jun 27 03:54:32 EDT 2010

> I didn't notice this level of angst when Python made equally significant
> changes going from 1.5 to 2.0...

I think the *level* was about the same (IIRC). People would say that
they ignore 2.x for years, and that it is important to continue
supporting 1.5.2 for a long time (about until 2.4 was released).

What's different now is the *amount* of angst. That's not surprising:
there is a much larger user community now with investment into Python
2.x, and they are concerned, and worried about the work that they have
to perform.

In addition to your observations: what the 3.x haters fail to recognize
is that the porting effort is actually much smaller than they think it
is. Would they try it out, they'd notice that it didn't take so long,
after all. Of course, porting from 2.x to 3.x is a skill to acquire,
so it gets easier the more you memorize the differences and pitfalls.

Regards,
Martin