Should I Learn Python or Ruby next?

Nathan Rice nathan.alexander.rice at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 07:37:09 EDT 2010

It really depends on what you want to do.  Ruby and Python are both highly
expressive languages.  Python syntax seems "nicer" to me but that is
subjective.

As far as community support, Python has 4342 packages listed in sourceforge,
Ruby has 705.  Python is listed in ~0.4% of jobs at indeed.com's trend
analyzer, Ruby is at about 0.3%.  Ruby seems to have traction primarily in
the web arena, with rails.  Python has traction in both the web area, with
Django, and in system administration and science/data analysis fields.
 Hopefully this objective information will help guide you.