Should I Learn Python or Ruby next?

Michael Crute mcrute at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 06:50:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Josef Tupag <joseftupag at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been programming (when I do program) mainly in Perl for the last 10
> years or so. But I've been itching to learn a new language for a while now,
> and the two near the top of the list are Ruby and Python.

If you have the time give both a try. Start with Python, of course
;-). I've been programming Python as my primary language for the past
4 years after having done Perl and PHP professionally. Python is a lot
of fun, the language is very clean and clear and it's got a great
standard library. From my dabbling in Ruby I can say that I'm not too
keen on the syntax of the language or some of the semantics, it just
feel sloppy (but certainly less sloppy than PHP). Both languages are
very functional and you can do the same tasks in either one so I think
it comes down, mostly, to syntax and semantics.

--
Michael E. Crute
http://mike.crute.org

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problem just with
potatoes. --Douglas Adams