If Not CGI...

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Mon Jun 21 09:33:02 EDT 2010

On 06/21/2010 07:40 AM, Victor Subervi wrote:
> I would like to explore rewriting the shopping cart in Django.
> The reality of the matter may make it difficult. Working
> literally from the time I awake to when I go to sleep and not
> having enough hours to complete everything I set for myself
> makes it difficult,

The reason for using a framework is because web development is
hard work -- the creators of these frameworks have gone before
you doing much of the hard work so you can concentrate on your
domain-specific tasks instead of the infrastructure.

When you want to drive across the country, do you begin by
procuring all the land in between and then paving your roads?
No...you leave that to people who do infrastructure full-time
(and with lots of experience in this area).  You just get in your
car and drive to your destination (your domain-specific task) and
let the professionals deal with the infrastructure.  That common
infrastructure investment is then shared between many users with
widely different destinations.

So you may find that, by switching to a web framework, you
actually end up *saving* time because you don't need to recreate
all the work of building a framework.  Given that tens of
thousands of development hours (by some very smart & very
experienced people) have gone into some of the big-name
frameworks such as Django, those are tens-of-thousands of hours
that *you* don't have to spend.

-tkc