GUIs - A Modest Proposal

lkcl luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 06:29:42 EDT 2010

On Jun 15, 2:47 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 05:57:13 -0700, lkcl wrote:
> >  to be honest, if you don't put any effort in to use the appropriate
> > "lovely-prettiness" panels you can end up with something truly "90s-
> > esque".  but with a little effort you can do round-edged lovely colour
> > tabs:
> >    http://pyjs.org/examples/tabpanelwidget/output/Tabs.html
>
> All I get is a plain page with no content. No images, no text, nothing.
> Shouldn't you at least include "This site requires Javascript to work"?

 naaah.  that would mean adding one extra line with a noscript tag to
the html loader page, increasing size of each of the example loader
pages by a whopping ten percent! :)

> You know, I like the idea of pyjamas, but I am so utterly sick and tired
> of javascript and flash running amok and web developers who try to take
> over my browser that I've turned them off.

 _hurrah_!  i used to write web apps entirely server-side, no AJAX, no
JS, nothing, precisely to cater exactly for this feeling, which i
entirely agreed with.  then i went absolute 100% the other way.  i had
_nothing_ good to say about javascript, but by abstracting out to
python, i found the "wiggly path" that leverages its powerful bits
without falling into the trap of the god-awful mess that causes you to
rightly switch off JS entirely.

 fortunately, for you, with pyjd you're in luck: python bindings to
DOM, doing exactly the same job as the equivalent JS - all JS gooone.

 l.