setprocname

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Mon Jun 14 16:03:52 EDT 2010

On 2010-06-14, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2010-06-14, Tomasz Pajor <nikon at puffy.pl> wrote:
>>
>>> Why there is no setprocname function in standard library, or am I
>>> missing something?
>>
>> Dunno.  Before we start guessing, would you care to explain what you
>> think "setprocname" ought to do?
>>
> I think it's to set the name of the OS process.
>
> On Windows, for example, all Python processes are called "python.exe" or
> "pythonw.exe", so if you have several running it's not clear which is
> which.

The Windows task manager won't display the entire command line, so
there's now way to know what's what?  Seems like a problem in the
windows task manager to me...

I must admit that being able to use "killall" on a Python/Java/Bash
program would be handy sometimes.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Is something VIOLENT
                                  at               going to happen to a