GUIs - A Modest Proposal

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 17:43:41 EDT 2010

On Jun 9, 3:52 pm, Mark Lawrence <breamore... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> This comes from the bloke who couldn't be bothered to find out how to
> download the fixed version of the Windows compiled help file?

Ok, so i was a bit miffed about the docs bug and felt the need to
vent. Don't tell me you've never griped about anything. ;-)

> Our, we, how much have you ever contributed to core versions of Python,
> or any third party libraries for that matter?

Honestly nothing so far (in the form of code) as it is beyond my skill
set at this time, but not much beyond it! Up to this point i have
contributed by answering questions on this list and other Python
lists. However, i do plan to be a driving force in this community for
a very long time to come. I am not here to spout off empty promises
and produce no results, i will back them up with code soon enough.
Anyone who has followed me over the past few years should know that
while i can be at times theatrical, slightly narcissistic, and
occasionally belligerent. I am always concerned with moving Python
into a better future.

I can see myself releasing "Python Modules" and contributing to bug
fixes on the "non-core" side of Python in the very near future. I
would very much like to be a part of this GUI fix/replacement as it
would be a great learning experience. As for the core, i would love to
contribute if and when my skills reach that level. But my concern at
this point is to contribute where i can. Updating Python's stdlib in a
way that will benefit everyone (including myself). And the first step
is calling for peoples input.

It would be both selfish and unwise for a person to create a module
and expect it to be blindly adopted without considering the many other
people who belong to this community. This is a community and we need
to include as many as we can into the decision process. For the best
results one must get supporting and opposing opinions. From that
dataset we can put our collective heads together to formulate a
solution and finally produce that solution.

I will be a part of this solution. I hope you will join in whatever
capacity your free time will allow. Even a vote of confidence is a
huge step in the right direction. I think you'll agree that Tkinter
"as-is" just ain't cutting it. One thing "we" as a community need to
do more often is combine our individual strengths into a collective
strength that can be harnessed to achieve some long since forgotten
goals. Guido has forged the path, we must strive to improve python
daily lest his and all your hard work be all for naught.

> Still waiting for your contributions, but I expect there's as much
> chance of you doing anything as there is of all Arab nations keeping the
> piece with Israel, or vice versa.

Mark, with those odds you can safely bet on me producing code!! ;-)