Is python suitable for my needs?

Simon SSt sst.misc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 10:27:27 EDT 2010

Le 15/07/2010 14:26, Steven D'Aprano a écrit :
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:36:25 +0200, Simon SSt wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Never too late to discover a new language :-)
>>
>> I hope anybody could help me answering my questions. I'm a technical
>> consultant for a software editor. Our software is running on the UNIX
>> (solaris 10 / AIX 5L), Sybase 15.x / Oracle 10G , Weblogic Server 9.x
>> and 10.x.
>>
>> I'd like to know if Python is suitable for helping me: Monitoring the
>> UNIX box?
>
> You're probably better off using existing tools like Nagios and Munin
> rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. But yes, Python is a fine
> language for tasks like that. Server monitoring is an awfully big wheel
> to reinvent though; you should have a good reason for not using an
> existing, well-tested and supported product.
>

>> Get some metrics from Sybase and Oracle?
>
> Google blocked where you are?
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/prez-python-queries.html
> http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Python
>
> If you've got specific questions that you couldn't answer by googling,
> you should say so.
>

>> Get JMX metrics from Weblogic
>> Server (Weblogic Server is provided with a scripting tool based on
>> Jython)
>
> That's a pretty good hint. Are you aware that Jython is Python
> implemented in Java instead of C? In other words, Jython *is* Python.

Regarding the System monitoring, I agree there are plenty of excellent
solution and I shouldn't reinventing the wheel. I just want a script
that will give me some info regarding the system state that I can use at
any client site...but this monitoring part isn't my priority.

Regarding the DB, thanks for your link I'll look at them thoroughly.

And finally for JMX, yes I know about Jython so I'll investigate it.

Thanks

-----
Simon