Is python suitable for my needs?

Thu Jul 15 08:26:08 EDT 2010

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:36:25 +0200, Simon SSt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Never too late to discover a new language :-)
>
> I hope anybody could help me answering my questions. I'm a technical
> consultant for a software editor. Our software is running on the UNIX
> (solaris 10 / AIX 5L), Sybase 15.x / Oracle 10G , Weblogic Server 9.x
> and 10.x.
>
> I'd like to know if Python is suitable for helping me: Monitoring the
> UNIX box?

You're probably better off using existing tools like Nagios and Munin
rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. But yes, Python is a fine
language for tasks like that. Server monitoring is an awfully big wheel
to reinvent though; you should have a good reason for not using an
existing, well-tested and supported product.

> Get some metrics from Sybase and Oracle?

Google blocked where you are?

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/prez-python-queries.html
http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Python

If you've got specific questions that you couldn't answer by googling,
you should say so.

> Get JMX metrics from Weblogic
> Server (Weblogic Server is provided with a scripting tool based on
> Jython)

That's a pretty good hint. Are you aware that Jython is Python
implemented in Java instead of C? In other words, Jython *is* Python.

--
Steven