any issues with long running python apps?

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Sat Jul 10 20:48:57 EDT 2010

On 10 Jul, 02:23, Tim Chase <python.l... at tim.thechases.com> wrote:

> While I'm not sure how much of Roy's comment was "hah, hah, just
> serious", this has been my biggest issue with long-running Python
> processes on Win32 -- either power outages the UPS can't handle,
> or (more frequently) the updates

Win32 is also the only OS in common use known to fragment memory
enough to make long-running processes crash or hang (including system
services), and require reboots on regular basis. Algorithms haven't
changed, but it takes a bit "longer" for the heap to go fubar with
Win64. (That is, "longer" as in "you're dead long before it happens".)
For processes that needs to run that long, I would really recommend
using Win64 and Python compiled for amd64.