any issues with long running python apps?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sat Jul 10 12:23:22 EDT 2010

Les Schaffer a écrit :
> i have been asked to guarantee that a proposed Python application will
> run continuously under MS Windows for two months time. And i am looking
> to know what i don't know.

(snip)

> but none of this has anything to do with Python itself. i am sure python
> servers have been running reliably for long periods of time, but i've
> never had to deal with a two-month guarantee before.  is there something
> else i am missing here that i should be concerned about on the
> pure-Python side of things? something under the hood of the python
> interpreter that could be problematic when run for a long time?

Zope is (rightly) considered as a memory/resources hog, and I have a
Zope instance hosting two apps on a cheap dedicated server that has not
been restarted for the past 2 or 3 years. So as long as your code is
clean you should not have much problem with the Python runtime itself,
at least on a a linux box. Can't tell how it would work on Windows.