myths about python 3

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 28 21:16:11 EST 2010

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:33:58 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Perhaps Steven could tell you about a lovely Australian meaning for
> > the word “date”.
>
> This is a family list, so perhaps I shouldn't. :)
>
> In Australia slang, "date" is short for "date hole", which is the part
> of the anatomy which is also known as "the [one] brown eye". In parts
> of the US, it is also known as the "corn hole", and in Cockney rhyming
> slang it is a jam role.
>
> I trust I don't need to be any more explicit...

I think the reason “date” was initially used is because dates are most
familiar to us as fleshy, dark brown, wrinkled, compressed points.

My interests in etymology and scatology unite here.

--
 \              “In the long run, the utility of all non-Free software |
  `\      approaches zero. All non-Free software is a dead end.” —Mark |