Symbols as parameters?

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Sun Jan 24 15:14:32 EST 2010

Just top-posting for clarity. :-)

<code file="directions.py">
up      = "UP"
left    = "LEFT"
down    = "DOWN"
right   = "RIGHT"
</code>

<code file="locals.py">
# This code is not guaranteed to work by the language specification.
# But it is one way to do the solution I presented earlier in the thread.

import sys

def import_from( module_name ):
     local_variables = sys._getframe( 1 ).f_locals
     m = __import__( module_name, globals(), local_variables, "*" )
     for name in local_variables:
         if not name.startswith( "_" ):
             local_variables[name] = getattr( m, name )

def move( direction ):
     print( "Moving " + str( direction ) )

def test():
     up = "outerScopeUp"
     class using_directions:
         (up, left, down, right) = 4*[None]; import_from( "directions" )
         move( up )
         move( down )
         move( left )
         move( right )
     print( "in the outer scope up is still: " + up )
     print( "this should fail:" )
     down

test()
</code>

<output pyversions="2.x and 3.x">
Moving UP
Moving DOWN
Moving LEFT
Moving RIGHT
in the outer scope up is still: outerScopeUp
this should fail:
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "locals.py", line 29, in <module>
     test()
   File "locals.py", line 27, in test
     down
NameError: global name 'down' is not defined
</output>

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

* George Sakkis: