Python Goldmine has been updated: http://preciseinfo.org/Convert/index_Convert_Python.html

tanix tanix at mongo.net
Mon Jan 11 17:45:14 EST 2010

In article <mailman.804.1263244260.28905.python-list at python.org>, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>On 1/11/2010 2:50 PM, tanix wrote:
>> In article<mailman.757.1263177422.28905.python-list at python.org>, Terry
> Reedy<tjreedy at udel.edu>  wrote:
>
>>> This site pops up spam windowns. One was blocked, one managed to bypass
>>> the popup blocker. Tnis is not friendly behaviour.
>>
>> I am sorry. But this is a known issue.
>> This is one of counter vendors doing these popups.
>> They were contacted about this but they refuse to deal with it.
>> These popups are totally inappropriate.
>> These counters will be removed with the next major site update.
>
>Good.
>
>>> Some categories have 100s of entries. Better, I think, to use a search
>>> engine such as  Google with more specific search terms and a snippet of
>>> context for each result.
>>
>> Well, I can not tell you what is better for you.
>> You have to decide on your own.
>> What I can tell you is this: when you do Google search, you are not
>> going to get the most appropriate results. Because their filtering
>> is orders of magnitude less precise.
>
>What you have told me is that you are woefully ignorant of how good
>Google results are.

Sorry to tell you, but I studied Google architecture in sufficient
detail to say what I am saying.

Read Standford paper on Google architecture.

> For example, search 'pyparsing'. First 3 hits are

You need to understand that the main principle of Google search
engine is backlinks. That will automatically put the sites with
the largest number of links pointing to them to the top of the
SERPS.

What does it mean, you need to think about it.
But I know what it means exactly.

One of the side effects is: you get the smappiest stuff in top
positions on SERPS and closer to the top, the more google spamy ads
you are going to see.

That is just the way their "economics" work.

But I am not interested in arguing about how good or bad Google is.
It is what it is, and if you find it does what you need, there is
no point of arguing about it one way or the other.

>http://pyparsing.wikispaces.com/
>http://pyparsing.wikispaces.com/examples
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyparsing/
>etc.
>
>Just what one would want to get info about and possibly download
>PyParsing. Compare that to a linear scan of 100s of titles under your
>general category 'parsing'.

Well, when you review a chapter index, you are basically into learning
all sorts of things that you may not be able to find easily in all
sorts of places. It is not meant to replace the search.

All it says is if you are looking at code example chapters, you
are guaranteed to see the code examples on the topic of that chapter
with > 90% of a chance. Such a thing is not possible with search
engine in principle.

And that is ALL that is guarantted. To be on topic of the chapter
with very high degree of precision and appropriateness.
How GOOD are the articles, depend on YOU, writers. :--}

>> There is currenly work going on to do internal site search that
>> will further increase precision.

>A site search bar would improve its usefulness a lot.

Yep. Especially if you have time to deal with these kinds of issues
while there is quite a list of priority items you have to deal with.

If any of you are interested in getting the search done, we can
discuss it. The email address is on the home page.

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:

http://preciseinfo.org

Tens of thousands of code examples and expert discussions on
C++, MFC, VC, ATL, STL, templates, Java, Python, Javascript, PHP,
organized by major topics of language, tools, methods, techniques.