Python Goldmine has been updated: http://preciseinfo.org/Convert/index_Convert_Python.html

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jan 11 16:10:34 EST 2010

On 1/11/2010 2:50 PM, tanix wrote:
> In article<mailman.757.1263177422.28905.python-list at python.org>, Terry Reedy<tjreedy at udel.edu>  wrote:

>> This site pops up spam windowns. One was blocked, one managed to bypass
>> the popup blocker. Tnis is not friendly behaviour.
>
> I am sorry. But this is a known issue.
> This is one of counter vendors doing these popups.
> They were contacted about this but they refuse to deal with it.
> These popups are totally inappropriate.
> These counters will be removed with the next major site update.

Good.

>> Some categories have 100s of entries. Better, I think, to use a search
>> engine such as  Google with more specific search terms and a snippet of
>> context for each result.
>
> Well, I can not tell you what is better for you.
> You have to decide on your own.
> What I can tell you is this: when you do Google search, you are not
> going to get the most appropriate results. Because their filtering
> is orders of magnitude less precise.

What you have told me is that you are woefully ignorant of how good
Google results are. For example, search 'pyparsing'. First 3 hits are

http://pyparsing.wikispaces.com/
http://pyparsing.wikispaces.com/examples
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyparsing/
etc.

Just what one would want to get info about and possibly download
PyParsing. Compare that to a linear scan of 100s of titles under your
general category 'parsing'.

> There is currenly work going on to do internal site search that
> will further increase precision.

A site search bar would improve its usefulness a lot.

Terry Jan Reedy