Dynamic text color

Cousin Stanley cousinstanley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 21:01:04 EST 2010

> John Posner wrote  ....
> I've posted a complete solution ....
>
>   http://cl1p.net/jjp_dynamic_text_color/.

  John ....

    Thanks for posting your solution to Dave McCormick's query
    about colorizing text ....

    I was not familiar with the re.finditer method
    for searching strings or with using tags in
    Tkinter Text widgets to change text attributes ....

    Instead of binding the Text widget to <KeyRelease> events
    to call the colorizer on each key-stroke, I used a button
    callback ....

       http://cl1p.net/cs_static_text_color

    This provides a static one-shot colorization after all
    of the text is entered and should save a few cpu cycles
    although it's not as nifty as the dynamic process ....

    I used a dictionary instead of a list for position data
    and also added a  { term : color }  dictionary so that
    words other than color names can be hi-lighted ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being