help with Python installation

gujax rjngrj2010 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 17:23:41 EST 2010

On Feb 27, 10:14 pm, Arnaud Delobelle <arno... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 28 Feb, 01:48, gujax <rjngrj2... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have been trying to install python on my Win ME system for over two
> > years - gave up for a while and now I am back with a resolve to solve
> > the problem. I tried all versions of python but having installation
> > problems for all. Installation does not proceed and I get a message
> > saying "dll required for installation could not be run". I do not even
> > know what to do next. I also tried Activepython. It installs but when
> > I try to open it from Start->Programs->ActivePython 2.6, I get an
> > error window saying - upgrade windows.
> > Is there no solution at all to installing python on WinME. I have
> > checked registry several times online and have sought professional
> > help but so far no success.
> > Thanks, I will appreciate any help
> > gujax
>
> The docs (*) say that Python 2.5 is still compatible with Windows 9X
> and ME, but that support for these platform was dropped at 2.6.  So
> you should be able to install and run Python 2.5.
>
> (*)http://docs.python.org/using/windows.html#installing-python
>
> --
> Arnaud

Hi,
Yes indeed, Python 2.5 worked and so did numpy and scipy for this
version. Thanks to all for your inputs. There are now issues with
plotting - graph plotting using pylab does not work nor does the Tck-
Tk, but for now I am satisfied. Hopefully I will plod my way through.
I should have read the documentation properly to realize that Win ME
is not supported for later versions,
Thanks again
Gujax