python crash on windows but not on linux

hjebbers hjebbers at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 06:39:57 EST 2010

On 13 feb, 13:48, Dave Angel <da... at ieee.org> wrote:
> hjebbers wrote:
> > On Feb 13, 10:25 am, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfr... at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> >> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:21:07 -0800 (PST), hjebbers <hjebb... at gmail.com>
> >> declaimed the following in gmane.comp.python.general:

> >>         Which on its own does not mean much.
>
> >>         Windows in a normal installation only grants 2GB address space to
> >> user code, reserving the other 2GB space for the OS shared libraries. If
> >> your program attempts to allocate over that, it will fail. That the
> >> Windows box has twice the physical memory only means it doesn't resort
> >> to page swapping as soon.
>
> >>         There is a boot parameter switch that toggles Windows into a 3GB
> >> user/1GB OS mode --
>
> > hey, that would be great!! on my 1,5G mahcine ;-)
>
> >> it is mainly meant for server machines where there
> >> won't be many disjoint OS libraries loaded, but the server applications
> >> need lots of data space.
>
> >>         What split does the Linux OS use? If it give 3GB to user space,
> >> while you'd start to page swap much soon, you'd also have 50% more
> >> virtual memory that can be allocated than under Windows.
> >> --
> >>         Wulfraed         Dennis Lee Bieber               KD6MOG
> >>         wlfr... at ix.netcom.com     HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
>
> > I will check this.....any advice on how to check this?
>
> > henk-jan
>
> As I posted in recent thread on Tutor,
>
> But the one you might want is a boot.ini option that tells the OS to
> only reserve 1gb for itself, and leave 3gb for user space.  But there
> are tradeoffs, including the need to modify an application's executable
> to take advantage of it.  And the whole system may run substantially
> slower, even when your're extended app isn't running.  See links:
>  http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/03/23/memory-management...
>
> DaveA

Yes, you are right, i also would need to modify the executable.

the reason why I posted on this list was the hard crash of python -
which python really should not do I think. AFAICS there is no 'bug' in
my edi translator (runs OK on linux) - but it uses far to much
memory.....
For me, I am going to bring back the memory footprint of my edi
translator. Which should be fairly easy to do.

kind regards,
henk-jan