python crash on windows but not on linux

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Sat Feb 13 07:48:30 EST 2010

hjebbers wrote:
> On Feb 13, 10:25 am, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfr... at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:21:07 -0800 (PST), hjebbers <hjebb... at gmail.com>
>> declaimed the following in gmane.comp.python.general:
>>

>>> What strikes me is:
>>> 1. the crash on windows, but linux works OK (same test sets)
>>> 2. the linux box has 750Mb RAM, the windows box has 1.5Gb (twice as
>>> much).
>>>
>>         Which on its own does not mean much.
>>
>>         Windows in a normal installation only grants 2GB address space to
>> user code, reserving the other 2GB space for the OS shared libraries. If
>> your program attempts to allocate over that, it will fail. That the
>> Windows box has twice the physical memory only means it doesn't resort
>> to page swapping as soon.
>>
>>         There is a boot parameter switch that toggles Windows into a 3GB
>> user/1GB OS mode --
>>

> hey, that would be great!! on my 1,5G mahcine ;-)
>

>> it is mainly meant for server machines where there
>> won't be many disjoint OS libraries loaded, but the server applications
>> need lots of data space.
>>
>>         What split does the Linux OS use? If it give 3GB to user space,
>> while you'd start to page swap much soon, you'd also have 50% more
>> virtual memory that can be allocated than under Windows.
>> --
>>         Wulfraed         Dennis Lee Bieber               KD6MOG
>>         wlfr... at ix.netcom.com     HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
>>

> I will check this.....any advice on how to check this?
>
> henk-jan

As I posted in recent thread on Tutor,

But the one you might want is a boot.ini option that tells the OS to
only reserve 1gb for itself, and leave 3gb for user space.  But there
are tradeoffs, including the need to modify an application's executable
to take advantage of it.  And the whole system may run substantially
slower, even when your're extended app isn't running.  See links:
  http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/03/23/memory-management-demystifying-3gb.aspx

DaveA