python crash on windows but not on linux

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 17:56:15 EST 2010

On Feb 11, 2:39 pm, hjebbers <hjebb... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 8:42 pm, Jerry Hill <malaclyp... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:32 AM, hjebbers <hjebb... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > To all,
> > > I am running an EDI translator, and doing stress tests.
> > > When processing a test with a (relatively) big EDI file(s) on
> > > windowsXP  I get a crash:
> > >    'sorry for the inconvenience' etc  (so no clues about what is
> > > causing the problem)
>
> > You need to give us more information if we're going to be able to
> > help.  At the very least, you'll need to copy & paste the actual error
> > message.  It would be even better if you could show us some of your
> > code, and better yet if you could give us a small bit of code that is
> > self contained and reproduces the problem you're experiencing.
>
> > --
> > Jerry
>
> the error is a windows thing, I can make a screenshot of it, but I can
> not copy/paste text.
> how do I upload a png-file?
>
> problem is that the same error happens over and over (I can reproduce
> it), but not at the same place (the is a logging in the application so
> that is quite easy to see.)
> but ....I can show you my code. it's an open source EDI application.
> but it is not a small bit of code....
> I am more than will to show you how to reproduce the error.

People coming here ask for help will vary in the amount of detail
given, but I've rarely seen anyone as reluctant as you.  It's like
walking into an auto repair shop and asking the mechanic what's wrong
with your car by trying to imitate the noise it makes.

If your code is very largre, you're not going to get out of this
without doing some of your own legwork.  I'm sorry.

Do this: Take your code, make a copy of it.  Start removing code from
the copy (in a controlled way) until the problem disappears.  When you
remove code don't worry about whether it produces anything useful, the
object is to try to identify what's causing the error.  Whatever code
you removed when the error disappears should give you a clue what's
causing it.  Then, if need be, you can come back and post details.  If
you manage to get the program to a small size without eliminating the
problem, you can post it here.

Carl Banks