Dreaming of new generation IDE

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Feb 7 02:52:18 EST 2010

En Sat, 06 Feb 2010 22:34:14 -0300, bartc <bartc at freeuk.com> escribió:
> "Arnaud Delobelle" <arnodel at googlemail.com> wrote in message
> news:m28wb6ypfs.fsf at googlemail.com...
>> "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar> writes:

>>> Note the *literal* part. If you (the programmer) is likely to know the
>>> parameter value when writing the code, then the function is actually
>>> two
>>> separate functions.
>>
>> Thanks, I understand what Steve Holden meant now.
>
> I've just noticed that 'literal' part. But I think I still disagree.
>
> For a real-world example, it means instead of having a room with a
> light-switch in it, if I *know* I want the light on or off, I should
> have two rooms: one with the light permanently on, and one with it
> permanently off, and just walk into the right one.

I think this would be a better analogy: A multiple screwdriver like this
one
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/204461747/Multi_function_screwdriver_screwdriver.jpg
You use it when you need flexibility, or you don't know in advance what
kind of screws you're going to encounter; they're mostly for hobbysts.
On the other hand, you have separate tools like this:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk43/hightecelectronica/021-482.jpg
You choose one of them when you know exactly what you want. If the stuff
you're working on uses exclusively certain kind of screws, you don't need
flexibility, and you can choose in advance. They're also professional's
choice.

--
Gabriel Genellina