Dreaming of new generation IDE

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Sat Feb 6 22:04:03 EST 2010

* Steven D'Aprano:
> On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 01:34:14 +0000, bartc wrote:
>
>> For a real-world example, it means instead of having a room with a
>> light-switch in it, if I *know* I want the light on or off, I should
>> have two rooms: one with the light permanently on, and one with it
>> permanently off, and just walk into the right one.
>
> I don't think you can apply real-world analogies to software in that way.
> They're too different.
>
> Think of the objections to having two rooms, one permanently lit up, the
> other permanently not:
>
> (1) Having two rooms is expensive and wasteful of physical space, which
> is in short supply.
>
> (2) You typically use rooms for storing things (furniture and smaller
> objects), having two rooms mean you would need to clone every object
> inside it and somehow keep them in perfect synchronisation.
>
> (3) the light that is always on will use electricity 24 hours a day,
> regardless of whether you are inside it or not.
>
> But none of those objections apply to functions:
>
> (1) Functions are cheap and live in memory, which is not in short supply
> unless you're programming for an embedded device.
>
> (1a) Even if you are programming in a device that is short of memory, the
> overhead of a second function is minimal. There's little difference
> between:
>
> def func(flag):
>     if flag:
>         blockA
>     else:
>         blockB
>

> and
>

> def funcA():
>     blockA
>
> def funcB():
>     blockB
>

> for any non-trivial code blocks, particularly if any common code is
> factored out into another function which you call.
>
> (2) Functions aren't typically used for storage, and when they need
> external data, it is easy to have them access a common data store.
>
> (3) Functions don't use CPU cycles just by existing.

I agree with your reasoning :-), but it's not either/or.

Consider, sometimes one wants to do

   switch.off()

and sometimes one wants to do

   original_switch_state = switch.state()
   switch.off()
   # ... Do things that are best done in utter darkness.
   switch.set_state( original_switch_state )

E.g. the "switch" might be the enabled/disabled state of some GUI widget.

So IMHO it depends.

Sometimes one wants both kinds of "protocols".

Cheers,

- Alf