Comparison with False - something I don't understand

Harishankar v.harishankar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 12:16:58 EST 2010

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 14:31:43 +0000, Mark Wooding wrote:

> The most obvious improvement is resumable exceptions.

This is probably what I had in mind but I just couldn't explain it the
way you did below.

> In general, recovering from an exceptional condition requires three
> activities:
>
>   * doing something about the condition so that the program can continue
>     running;
>
>   * identifying some way of rejoining the program's main (unexceptional)
>     flow of control; and
>
>   * actually performing that transfer, ensuring that any necessary
>     invariants are restored.

This really sums up my thoughts about exceptions better than I could have
explained! I just felt instinctively that I had missed something, but it
appears to be a break in logic of the code somewhere which I thought was
my fault. Seems that exception handling requires a lot of forethought
since the control of program execution breaks at the point of exception
with no obvious way to rejoin it seamlessly whereas with an error, a
simple if condition could handle the error state and resume execution
from that point forward. This is the main reason why I think I used
simple error codes to handle certain recoverable conditions and avoided
exceptions.

I quite enjoyed your post. Thank you for explaining a lot of issues which
I probably could not have figured out on my own.
--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)