PyGeo

Giacomo Boffi giacomo.boffi at polimi.it
Tue Aug 31 08:21:32 EDT 2010

L <lamlbiro at optusnet.com.au> writes:

> also the PyGeo readme text mentions Numerical python (I think it
> means Numeric, but I also have NumPy installed)

afaict, Numerical python is numpy --- if you look at pygeo home page,
the reference to Numerical python is a link to numpy home page

on the contrary, there is no "import numpy" in all the sources of
pygeo, and a couples or so of "import Numeric", so that the situation
is unclear

aiuole/../PyGeo-1.0a1 $ find build| grep py$ | xargs grep -n import'.*'numpy
aiuole/../PyGeo-1.0a1 $ find build| grep py$ | xargs grep -n import'.*'Numeric
build/lib.linux-i686-2.6/pygeo/base/pygeomath.py:1:import Numeric as N
build/lib.linux-i686-2.6/pygeo/base/wiresphere.py:2:import Numeric
aiuole/../PyGeo-1.0a1 $

to complicate matters, it is not possible to install python-numeric
using the apt system on debian unstable

i don't know if it is possible to build numeric against the default
python (2.6) on my system, further i don't know if it is worthwhile
because, at a first sight, it looks like pygeo does not use advanced
features of numeric, and replacing numeric with numpy should be very
easy