Opposite of split

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Mon Aug 16 13:04:07 EDT 2010

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:26:46 +0200
"Alex van der Spek" <zdoor at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Nope, no homework. This was a serious question from a serious but perhaps
> simple physicist who grew up with Algol, FORTRAN and Pascal, taught himself
> VB(A) and is looking for a replacement of VB and finding that in Python. You
> can guess my age now.
>
> Most of my work I do in R nowadays but R is not flexible enough for some
> file manipulation operations. I use the book by Lutz ("Learning Python").
> The join method for strings is in there. I did not have the book at hand and
> I was jetlagged too. I do apologize for asking a simple question.

I'm not actually the one that presented the convuluted example.  I
think the one who did just felt that someone had a question and they
were passing it to the group instead of doing a simple Google search.
The "solution" he posted looked like something designed to make the
teacher scratch his head and ask embarrassing questions of the student.

> Thanks for the help. I do hope there is no entry level for using this group.
> If there is, I won't meet it for a while.

I think that the only thing people expect is that you do a quick search
first and show that you have tried first.  Some questions have been
asked and answered so many times that a search of the archives finds
what you want without waiting for an answer.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves