Opposite of split

Alex van der Spek zdoor at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 16 12:26:46 EDT 2010

Thanks much,

Nope, no homework. This was a serious question from a serious but perhaps
simple physicist who grew up with Algol, FORTRAN and Pascal, taught himself
VB(A) and is looking for a replacement of VB and finding that in Python. You
can guess my age now.

Most of my work I do in R nowadays but R is not flexible enough for some
file manipulation operations. I use the book by Lutz ("Learning Python").
The join method for strings is in there. I did not have the book at hand and
I was jetlagged too. I do apologize for asking a simple question.

I had no idea that some would go to the extent of giving trick solutions for
simple, supposedly homework questions. Bear in mind Python is a very feature
rich language. You cannot expect all newbies to remember everything.

By the way, I had a working program that did what I wanted using still
simpler string concatenation. Replaced that now by tab.join([lines[i][k][2]
for i in range(5)]), k being a loop counter. Judge for yourself. That is the
level I am at after 6 weeks of doing excercises from my programming book on
Pascal in Python.
Thanks for the help. I do hope there is no entry level for using this group.
If there is, I won't meet it for a while.
Alex van der Spek

news:mailman.2159.1281917130.1673.python-list at python.org...