Win7. Why Don't Matplotlib, ... Show up in Control Panel Add-Remove?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Mon Aug 9 01:50:56 EDT 2010

On 8/8/2010 9:51 AM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 08/08/2010 17:16, W. eWatson wrote:
>> See Subject. I use matplotlib, scipy, numpy and possibly one other
>> module. If I go to the control panel, I only see numpy listed. Why? I
>> use a search and find only numpy and Python itself. How can matplotlib
>> and scipy be uninstalled?
>
> Have you heard of google?
>
> Mark Lawrence.

    It's a legitimate question.  It might be framed as "why does Python
package management not play well with the platform's package management
system?"  Which is a reasonable enough question.  On Windows, some
packages play well with Add/Remove programs, and some don't.  On
Linux, some packages play well with Yum, and some don't.

    The basic answer is that nobody is in charge.  There's nobody
even trying to herd the third-party modules.  Unlike CPAN, which
has standards for Perl packages and some level of quality
control, PyPi is just a link farm.

				John Nagle