Python Portability

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 8 15:29:44 EDT 2010

> Add-Remove would be a very good answer, except for one thing. Understand
> that I'm in Win7 so CP takes on a different form. On Control Panel
> Add-Remove, I can find exactly two Python files: Python 2.5, and
> python-Numpy-1.2.0. No scipy anything.

Well, it should be there. Perhaps it was installed by a different user,
and will only show up when that user goes into CP?

Do you recall what procedure you have used for installation?

> Well, this is interesting. I just
> noticed Martin v. Loewis on the Python 2.5 entry. That's you, right?

Correct. I keep building the installers, but was asked to put Python
Software Foundation into the creator field of the MSI file.

> I think I posted the errors my partner got above. Let me look. Yes,
> here's the copy.
> He gets
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Documents and
> Settings\HP_Administrator.DavesDesktop\Desktop\NC-FireballReport20100729.py",
> line 40, in <module>
>     from scipy import stats as stats # scoreatpercentile
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\__init__.py", line 7,
> in <module>
>     from stats import *
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\stats.py", line 191,
> in <module>
>     import scipy.special as special
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\scipy\special\__init__.py", line
> 22, in <module>
>     from numpy.testing import NumpyTest
> ImportError: cannot import name NumpyTest

There is no way this can be attributed to an addition of a single character.

In your partner's version of numpy.testing, there is no name NumpyTest.
That sounds alright - in my version of numpy, there is no
numpy.testing.NumpyTest, either. However, the line in
special\__init__.py, on my system, reads

from numpy.testing import Tester

So it looks like that the scipy version and the numpy version don't
match.

Regards,
Martin