Why is python not written in C++ ?

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Tue Aug 3 22:07:26 EDT 2010

Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> writes:
> Yep, I've installed Gnat a couple times with the intention of playing
> around with it, but there's pretty much zero chance I could sell it at
> the office in place of C/C++ for embedded stuff,

I wonder what the issues are.  From everything I've heard, it's a pretty
good compiler.  It does ok against C/C++ in the Alioth shootouts.  I
haven't written anything in it beyond "hello world" but I've looked at
the wikibook about it and that intro piece that I linked earlier.  It's
more verbose than C, so coding in it takes more keystrokes, but it looks
to me like the general coding approach (modulo the extra keystrokes)
should be similar to that of C, Algol, and so on, and the results should
be quite a bit more reliable.

Mozilla is fed up with C++ and seems to be working on its own language,
called Rust:

   http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4009