Why is python not written in C++ ?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Aug 3 21:57:09 EDT 2010

On 2010-08-04, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <i3982t$79s$2 at reader1.panix.com>, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> I've always thought Ada was a pretty nice embedded/systems languages,
>> but some of the initial implementations were indede horrible.
>
> Well, there?s GNAT, the GNU Ada implementation. Seems pretty robust and
> complete, while offering backward compatibility with some of those ?initial
> implementations?, presumably because people have so much code already
> written for them.

Yep, I've installed Gnat a couple times with the intention of playing
around with it, but there's pretty much zero chance I could sell it at
the office in place of C/C++ for embedded stuff, and for desktop stuff
it's just way to easy to get programs done using Python.

I also looked at Modula-3 once, and thought it had some real promise,
but I think it's probably deader than Ada now.

--
Grant