2.7 beta 1

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Sun Apr 11 15:32:09 EDT 2010

On Apr 11, 12:00�pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 4/11/2010 12:08 AM, Mensanator wrote:

> Not. Many though will wait until 3.2 and greater library availability,
> which *is* coming.

Which comes first, library availability or
a working system?

> >> In what ways do you consider it broken?
>
> > Issue 8093.
>
> IDLE is not Python.

The Task Manager doesn't say "IDLE", it says "pytonw".

> And are you really sure this is 3.x-only problem

No, I didn't say it was, just that that's where
I noticed it. I haven't been using the latest 2.x
upgrades because I switched to 3.x.

> or
> that it is not a Windows-only problem.

Could very well be. But when YOU target a specific
operating system, isn't the onus on YOU to make it
work within that system? If you're not content to
be a big fish in a small pond, then you better
figure out a way to make it work.

> > Remarkably, this apparently hasn't been noticed before.
>
> Because it requires somewhat rare circumstances. Start an infinite loop
> from IDLE, perhaps specifically on Windows. Try to restart. Patiently
> wait for restart to happen (several seconds, and iffy)

Not iffy at all. If it responds to the menu and I can
click on Restart, it succeeds.

> instead of
> killing the runaway process from TaskManager.

Why on earth would I want to do that? Then I lose
the entire history of whats printed in the window.
You've got a serious problem if you expect the
TaskManager to be used for normal operations.

> > I expect 2.7 will be around for a long time.
>
> That was always expected independently of this issue.

I hear 2.7 doesn't work either. I'll back off on that
comment.