2.7 beta 1

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Apr 11 13:00:07 EDT 2010

On 4/11/2010 12:08 AM, Mensanator wrote:
> On Apr 10, 7:15�pm, Chris Rebert<c... at rebertia.com>  wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Mensanator<mensana... at aol.com>  wrote:

>>> 3.x won't be adopted by developers until it's fixed. As of now, it's
>>> seriously broken and unsuitable for production.

Not. Many though will wait until 3.2 and greater library availability,
which *is* coming.

>> In what ways do you consider it broken?
>
> Issue 8093.

IDLE is not Python. And are you really sure this is 3.x-only problem or
that it is not a Windows-only problem.

> Remarkably, this apparently hasn't been noticed before.

Because it requires somewhat rare circumstances. Start an infinite loop
from IDLE, perhaps specifically on Windows. Try to restart. Patiently
wait for restart to happen (several seconds, and iffy) instead of
killing the runaway process from TaskManager.

> I expect 2.7 will be around for a long time.

That was always expected independently of this issue.

Terry Jan Reedy