Which version of python I should use if I just start programming in python?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sun Sep 13 01:27:03 EDT 2009

Kee Nethery wrote:
> I am in 2.x because the IDE I am using does not support stepping through
> my code when in 3.x. As soon as the IDE I use supports debugging in 3.x,
> I'm moving up to 3.x.
>
> I would prefer to be in 3.x because all the inconsistencies of how you
> do things in 2.x make it harder than it needs to be to learn the language.

    So would I.  But the infrastructure isn't there yet.  Realistically,
2.5 is the "production stable" version of CPython.  Almost all important
modules work with CPython 2.5.  Some work with 2.6.  3.x support remains
spotty.  Give it a year.  Or two.

    I've tried using 3.1, but had to back down.

					John Nagle