Distutils - can user designate install directory for windows installer?

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 19:10:38 EDT 2009

On 9/09/2009 1:57 AM, Timothy W. Grove wrote:
> I have successfully built a windows installer for my python program
> using distutils, (python setup.py bdist_wininst), but is there a way to
> do it that will allow a user ('user' == 'boss', in this case!) to
> designate the installation directory, rather than being forced to
> install into /Python/Lib/site-packages ? Thanks for any help.

bdist_wininst is for packaging python modules or packages and so depends
on Python itself being installed.  As a result, it only installs into
where Python libs and modules are generally installed.

It sounds like you are looking for something to create a stand-alone
version of your program - in that case you are probably looking for
py2exe to create the application itself, and something like Inno or NSYS
to create an installer which allows the user to specify where they want
it installed and doesn't depend on Python already being installed.

Cheers,

Mark