Why does this group have so much spam?

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Sep 4 12:23:03 EDT 2009

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 16:01:26 -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:
>

>>Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>>>Incorrect -- you are getting all the downloads you make yourself, plus
>>>the warm fuzzy feeling of happiness from the knowledge that other
>>>people are making downloads you have paid for.
>>>
>>>Of course, if you've *unintentionally* left your wi-fi open, perhaps
>>>"cold feelings of dread and horror" would be more appropriate, but
>>>we're talking about the situation where folks deliberately leave their
>>>wi-fi open for whatever reason.
>>>

>>Read a little closer, Steven -- *my* wi-fi is *closed*, it's my neighbor
>>(in theory) who has his open, and all that extra usage is making *my*
>>rate go up -- no warm fuzzies, only irritation.
>
> Okay, that makes zero sense at all.

[snip]

> If I'm leaching off my neighbour's open network, chances are that I'll be
> using my own account less, so the average will tend to remain about the
> same.

[more snippage]

Ah, I think that's the communication problem between us -- you're an
optimist!  ;-)

In my experience, the folks that would use the open wi-fi do *not* have
an account of their own, are *not* paying their fair share, and I feel
very differently about that situation than about somebody who *is*
paying for their *own* service, even if they use it *a lot*.

Don't you just love bold?  ;-)

~Ethan~