python daemon - compress data and load data into MySQL by pyodbc

MacRules MacRules at nome.com
Thu Sep 3 14:43:40 EDT 2009

Ben Finney wrote:
> MacRules <MacRules at nome.com> writes:
>
>> Are you a Python expert?
>
> This group has many Python experts, and even more people who can no
> doubt help you if you are able to articulate what you need help with.
>
> To help dispel a possible misunderstanding: Don't expect to have a
> one-on-one conversation with a single devoted correspondent here. We
> prefer to have these discussions in a manner open for contributions from
> everyone, to maximise the benefit for future readers and the chance of
> correcting errors.
>
>> Can you show me the basic coding to get a Daemon (pass through insert
>> data) up and insert to the backend MySQL?
>
> This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me; it sounds like a
> conflation of two separate problems that would be best tackled
> separately. Can you re-phrase it, perhaps by describing the problem
> you're actually trying to solve?
>
> On the topic of implementing a daemon process in Python, there is the
> ‘python-daemon’ library <URL:http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-daemon>
> which I hope you will find useful. If you can describe what you're
> actually trying to do, perhaps it will be clearer whether this library
> is a good fit.

What I am looking for is this.

Oracle DB in data center 1 (LA, west coast)
MSSQL DB in data center 2 (DC, east coast)
So network bandwidth is an issue, I prefer to have gzip fist and deliver
the data.

I need 2 python daemons or a web service here in the future.
I will enter the Oracle table name, user id and password.
So the task is dump out Oracle data (Linux) and insert that to MSSQL.

I can try first with 1 daemon python. Take the Oracle data file, and let
the daemon connects to MSSQL (with pyodbc) and load the data in.