Cpython optimization

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 00:41:31 EDT 2009

On Oct 22, 12:28 am, John Nagle <na... at animats.com> wrote:

>    The Shed Skin people would welcome some help.
>
>        http://shed-skin.blogspot.com/

People?  It's one guy.  It apparently started out as a Master's thesis
as well. ;)

I am a great admirer of the Shed Skin project, and I would be as happy
as anyone to see it progress.  However, it seems to me that Shed Skin
is at a stage where what it really needs is plain old "more work".  (I
don't want to call it grunt work, but it's things like more testing,
implementing more library support, maintaining the Windows build,
etc.  Very worthy and worthwhile work, but tough to pass off as
academic graduate work.)

To the original poster:  I am not sure if this is too ambitious for
your time frame, but one thing many real-world Python users would LOVE
is for some way to get rid of the GIL (while still retaining thread
safety, single-core performance, etc.).  If you could patch CPython to
make it GIL-less, I think you would have academically publishable
material as well as being a hero in the Python community. :D

John