Cpython optimization

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Thu Oct 22 00:28:06 EDT 2009

Qrees wrote:
> Hello
>
> As my Master's dissertation I chose Cpython optimization. That's why
> i'd like to ask what are your suggestions what can be optimized. Well,
> I know that quite a lot. I've downloaded the source code (I plan to
> work on Cpython 2.6 and I've downloaded 2.6.3 release). By looking at
> the code I've found comment's like "this can be optimized by..." etc.
> but maybe you guide me what should I concentrate on in my work?
>
> I've 6-7 month  for this and If I create something decent I can
> publish it.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help

   The Shed Skin people would welcome some help.

	http://shed-skin.blogspot.com/

Shed Skin is a Python to C++ compiler with automatic type inference.
For the programs it can handle, it's the fastest Python implementation
by a large margin.

The basic restriction in Shed Skin is that, while you don't have to
declare types, each variable generally has to stay the same type
throughout its life.  (Different subclasses of the same class are OK.)
This is enough to make huge speedups possible.

				John Nagle