segmentation fault

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 08:18:11 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM, ankita dutta <ankita.dutta09 at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> well, even i was also using matplotlib for some time, and it was working
> fine.
> but this time i use it for data which is quite large,( my input file has
> single column of float values ,
> and length ( no. of rows) of this column is 10,000,000. )

Even if the inpyt data are too big, if it crashes, it is a bug (in
matplotlib or in numpy or one of the underlying library). I would
advise you to report the bug on matplotlib ML with your platform
information (which version of matplotlib and numpy). The script looks
simple enough that it should be easy to reproduce by someone else.

You should keep in mind that 10 000 000 points is a lot to plot (I
don't think matplotlib can plot that many points - certainly, some
backends like Cairo will give up way below this number) - even without
the crash, plotting such a huge dataset as it is would be very slow
and almost certainly wasteful.

David