Inserting into a database

aditya shukla adityashukla1983 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 20:06:31 EDT 2009

Hello Guys

I am using python 2.6 on windows 7 and MySQLdb to make connections to the
database.The issue here is that I  am not able to insert from the python
script to the database.When I run the same query in mysql query brower then
the insert statement works .I am able to select from the database  using the
python script.The connection is fine.I am using Aptana to write the python
script.

I thought this could be a problem of the collation or character set problem
the default character set  of the system is cp1252 which corrosponds to
latin_1 on mysql , I have chosen that and still no help. Any help is
appreciated.

this what the code looks like.

db = MySQLdb.connect("localhost","root","juventus12","factoids",charset =
"utf8", use_unicode = True )
cursor= db.cursor()   # i added charset = "utf8", use_unicode = True just
now and changed the character set of mysql still no help.

cursor.execute("""INSERT INTO question_table
(question_id,source_id,question) VALUES (5,1,"question")""")

language, output_encoding = locale.getdefaultlocale()

print output_encoding, language

traceback

C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\MySQLdb\__init__.py:34: DeprecationWarning:
the sets module is deprecated
  from sets import ImmutableSet

cp1252 en_US

Thanks