python performance on Solaris

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Oct 11 06:59:16 EDT 2009

inaf <cem.ezberci <at> gmail.com> writes:

> My code seem to
> return lookups from a in memory data structure I build combining bunch
> of dictionaries and lists 6-8 times faster on a 32 bit Linux box than
> on a Solaris zone.

Well, if your workload is CPU-bound, the issue here is not really Solaris vs.
Linux but rather CPU power. You should try to run a generic (non-Python) CPU
benchmark (*) on both systems, perhaps this 6-8 factor is expected. If only
Python shows such a performance difference, on the other hand, perhaps you can
give us more precisions on those systems.

Regards

Antoine.

(*) for example one of the C programs on http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64/c.php