AJAX Widget Framework

Mathias Waack M.Waack at gmx.de
Sat Oct 3 13:01:42 EDT 2009

Laszlo Nagy wrote:

> I'm looking for an open source, AJAX based widget/windowing framework.
> Here is what I need:
>
> - end user opens up a browser, points it to a URL, logs in
> - on the server site, sits my application, creating a new session for
> each user that is logged in
> - on the server site, I create windows(frames), put widgets on them,
> write event handlers etc. Just like with wx or pygtk.
> - However, windows are created in the user's browser, and events are
> triggered by Javascript, and sent back to server through AJAX.
> - the server side would be - of course - written in Python.
>
> I was looking these projects:
>
> http://www.uize.com/
> http://pyjs.org/
>
> There are many frameworks listed here which I did not check:
> http://internetmindmap.com/javascript_frameworks. I have no idea which
> has Python support, and probably there are only a few that worth looking
> at. I wonder if you could tell me which are the pros and contras for
> these frameworks. If there is a comparison available on the NET,
> pointing me to the right URL would help a lot.
>
> The bottom line...
>
> My main goal is to develop enterprise class OLTP database applications.
> I'll need grid widget to display data in tabular format, and I'll use
> events heavily for data manipulation, live search, tooltips etc. I'm
> familiar with wxWidgets, pygtk and other toolkits, but not with AJAX. I
> have never used a system like that.

Of course I don't know which is the right way for you. I'm very happy with
pyjamas. It allows you the create client applications in the same manner as
standalone toolkits like wxWidgets. The message passing between client and
server is simple done by exchanging json strings (its ajax based of course,
but this stuff works silently in the background). On the server side there
are many python toolkits, I prefer cherrypy, others are django and web.py.

Hope this helps you.

Mathias