Bored.

Jorge Cardona jorgeecardona at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 20:15:48 EST 2009

2009/11/30 Stef Mientki <stef.mientki at gmail.com>:
> Necronymouse wrote:
>>
>> Hello, I am learning python for about 2 years and I am bored. Not with
>> python but I have a little problem, when i want to write something I
>> realise that somebody had alredy written it! So i don´t want to make a
>> copy of something but i wanna get better in python skills. Don´t you
>> know what I should do?
>>

>> ---sorry for my english, I ´m from czech rep...
>>

> Well I thought that after 2 years you would know every detail of a language
> ;-)
>
> A few ideas ( or better said the things that I'm still missing, and I guess
> every one can name a  few different ones )
> - PyJamas needs a lot of extensions
> - Simultanuous recording of  camera and sound (and preferable other signals)
> is completely missing
> - Rich editor or ( embedding of open office)
> - a system-wide mind mapper
> - graphical design package a la LabView

I had have a project in mind for several months, a compiler for
Modelica language in python, there is actually two main approach,
openmodelica and jmodelica, both free ( i don't remember the exactly
licences), openmodelica is written  in C++ and jmodelica has a
front-end for python, but its core is java based. I had started a
gtkmodelica project, in code google, with c++ and spirit library( i
didn't  find at the moment a good library like spirit in python), but
developing in c++ is quite slow (but is really nice), and recently I
found pyparsing, I think is a good tool for the parser, and i create a
repo in github (is empty right now), i wish i could have the enough
time right now, but i got a lot of work right now.

A project like this has a lot of great challenges: parsing,
differential equation solving, a lot about language semantics, the
graphical tool could be like labview, simulink, or maplesim ( I love
flowcanvas library for gtk in c++, but it is quite old  right now),
code generation (to use hardware in the loop), real time plotting,
etc... it could be a great project.

I'm using right now some python classes that works as wrapper for
openmodelica, and i use numpy for optimization purpose, and it works
great, but a more natural mix with a native python tool would be just
fantastic.

http://github.com/jorgeecardona/pymodelica
http://drobilla.net/software/flowcanvas/
http://code.google.com/p/gtkmodelica/
http://www.jmodelica.org/
http://www.ida.liu.se/~pelab/modelica/OpenModelica.html

> There's also a Python site, were projects are submitted that needs something
> ( some even pay a little),
> but I can't remember where it is :-(
>
> cheers,
> Stef